Sunday, November 18, 2012

Love and Laughter


Every day with Alzheimer's has its ups and downs, and this is Dad on a really good day.

He still has his mischievous smile that lets us know he's about to say something to make us laugh. I'm so thankful that he still retains his sense of humor, even if it is in a limited capacity. The fact that we can be silly together, and laugh, and tease each other, makes the days easier to bear. I don't know how families handle it when the disease turns their loved ones into nasty, angry, spiteful people...and it does happen. Often. What a great burden that must add to their already heavy load.

Dad has a habit of cracking everybody up in Memory Care. He once told an aide, "I can't even remember my own name. How am I supposed to get a date?"

Sometimes he cracks himself up so much that he can't stop laughing, which of course makes us laugh all the more.

I know someday I will look back and really cherish these good days. And I will remember that even in the midst of this horrible disease, we found things to laugh about.

I call that a win.

1 comment:

  1. I call that a win too Cia. Your Dad does have a very sweet smile ♥

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for sharing this journey with us.