Sunday, December 9, 2012

The Older I Get


Sis, Dad, me
This video breaks my heart.

When you're dealing with an Alzheimer's patient you never know when they are going to connect, when the brain will  function "normally", or when they are going to be on disconnect, with even everyday things causing them confusion.

We attended the Memory Care Christmas Party at Dad's residence Friday night. There was an entertainer there doing holiday music. For the most part, Dad ignored it. The hall was loud, the music was loud, and he was a bit out of sorts anyway. But when the entertainer started singing Silent Night, Sis and I looked over and there was Dad very quietly singing along. I only caught the last part of it on video, but it brought tears to my eyes. So sweet. But then, if you watch the video, you will see when the entertainer switches songs, Dad shuts down again. He looks as though he's trying to remember the words to the new song (Jingle Bells), but can't.

The night was a fun one, nonetheless, and there were times when Dad was in good form with his jokes. (I do thank God for his humor. It gets us through so much that could otherwise be devastating.) At one point, Dad leaned over to me and whispered, "The older I get, the more cynical I get." I stared at him in astonishment, as that was a lot more coherent than he'd been for most of the night. "That's true for a lot of people, Dad," I said, scrambling for some response to make. And then a moment later, he leaned in again. "You know what? The older I get...the older I get."

I kissed him.

That, dear Dad, is true for *all* of us. *grin*

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for sharing this journey with us.