Friday, March 8, 2013

The Awful Power of Alzheimer's


Here is the awful power of Alzheimer's:

I've been sick for the last three weeks or so (first with a really ugly upper respiratory infection, then with a bad back as a result of all the coughing that ensued). Consequently, I have not been able to go visit Dad in all that time. Tomorrow will be the first time. And you know what?

I'm scared.

Alzheimer's makes for such tenuous connections in the brain, and Dad hasn't seen me in a while. Will he remember me? Have I been out of his thoughts for so long that he won't be able to make the connection again? It's a very real possibility at this stage of his illness.

Three weeks of absence against a life time of memories...which will win?  I really don't know.

Such is the power of Alzheimer's that I even have to worry about this. And it really, really sucks.

It's okay if you forget that I love you, Dad. I'll remember for the both of us.



No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for sharing this journey with us.