Tuesday, April 16, 2013

I Choose Love

Every time something like the Boston Marathon bombing happens, I struggle to understand how someone can hate enough to want innocent people (children, for God's sake) to die. The enormity of that hate is staggering. At times, it threatens to overwhelm me, as if the weight of a thousand boulders was sitting on my heart.

Then today, I learned that an old high school classmate of mine has just been diagnosed with metastatic renal cancer. A cousin and a family friend recently had surgeries for breast cancer.

And, of course, there is the ever present struggle of helping my father on his journey with Alzheimer's.

Wow, the Universe knows how to throw its punches, doesn't it. And sometimes it takes everything I have to get back up and keep going in the face of all the pain.

But, it's not what life throws at us that defines our existence; instead, it's how we react to those moments that makes us who we are. I choose to react with love. I choose to celebrate good. I choose to get back up, even if it takes me all day and all night and every ounce of strength that I have left.

I choose life and happiness, friends and family. Most of all, I choose hope. With these, I can handle anything that comes my way.

What do you choose today?


“Be soft. Do not let the world make you hard. Do not let pain make you hate. Do not let the bitterness steal your sweetness. Take pride that even though the rest of the world may disagree, you still believe it to be a beautiful place.”
― Kurt Vonnegut

**cross-posted at Angels, Art and Attitude

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for sharing this journey with us.