Tuesday, May 28, 2013

Let me tell you about Barbara

For Barbie and Melissa. I love you both.

I'm going to lose one of my very dearest friends in the not too distant future. Her name is Barbara. She's 91, and has Alzheimer's. And she's dying.

How can I tell you what a special person Barbara is?

She sees the good in everyone.

She loves to laugh. She even giggles.

She sings "You are My Sunshine" to her daughter.

She wears outrageous socks.

And funny hats.

She loves the color red.

And she hates Alzheimer's.

Even though she no longer walks, Barbara still dances through life. And she's taken so many of us onto the dance floor with her.

For the rest of my life, for as long as I live, I will be telling the world:

"I got to dance with Barbara.

She was my friend.

And it was lovely."


The portrait I painted of Barbara in 2012.



2 comments:

  1. We are all so blessed to have met Missy and Barbara. I have learned so much through their journey with 2 of the most awful diseases. My heart is so heavy with sadness right now, but also so fortunate to have had the pleasure to have grown to love them dearly <3

    ReplyDelete
  2. Barbara and Missy are both precious spirits.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for sharing this journey with us.