Sunday, September 15, 2013

Pizza *and* Bowling!

Pizza! He ate three slices.
Friday was our monthly pizza day for the residents of Dad's Memory Care (MC) unit. It started out slow, everyone quiet and a bit sleepy, but turned out to be a lovely afternoon.

MC has a new activities aide who is wonderful with the residents. She's been bringing them an assortment of new and varied activities to do and the residents really seem to enjoy them. Friday was bowling, so after chowing down our pizza, everyone headed to the living room to bowl. Even my Dad got in on the act.

In the early years of their marriage, my parents were league bowlers. They got away from it over the years, but it was interesting to see some of that come back to Dad as he watched the other residents bowl. As one resident
Critiquing the other bowlers. :)
let go of a particularly, um, not-so-good, throw, Dad shook his head. "Too wide," he said softly. Sis and I looked at each other in amazement. Another time, someone threw a ball with very little momentum, and I heard Dad next to me blowing little puffs of air at the ball as if to make it go faster.

"Do you want to try, Dad?" I asked.

"Yeah, I'll take a go," he said.

We had to help him out of his chair, but he was determined to do it. You'll see my arms in the left side of the picture below. I stayed close in case Dad lost his balance. But he did really well. He got up to bowl three times!

With all the cheering and goodhearted joking going on, it turned out to be one of the best afternoons we've had in Memory Care. It was so wonderful to see the residents having a good time.





No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for sharing this journey with us.