Sunday, October 20, 2013

It's the little things that keep me smiling

From my last visit:



"How are you, Dad?"

"Good. And now that you're here, even better."






With all the things that an Alzheimer's brain forgets or can't wrap itself around, sometimes it amazes me what it does get. Memory Care units are lock-down units because dementia patients tend to be wanderers. At Dad's place, there are keypads at the two main doors into his unit.

As our visit was coming to a close, I remarked to Dad that I had to stop at the bank on my way home.

"You know your way out of here?" he asked anxiously, worried that I might get lost (as he does).

"Yep, I sure do, Dad. I know everything I need to know."

He looked at me in wonder.

"You even know how to punch the thing?"

I had to laugh. I didn't even know he was aware of the keypads.

And I think, for a tiny moment, he had visions of me breaking him out of the joint. ;)


No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for sharing this journey with us.