Sunday, December 29, 2013

The Best Christmas Ever

Eileen and Dad
Dad got a lovely Christmas gift when my cousin, Eileen, and my Uncle Jim, came to visit him on the 26th. Dad and my Uncle Jim were high school friends who married sisters: Marion (my mom) and Peg (Eileen's mom). We kids grew up just a few blocks from each other. But when Dad retired, he moved back to his home town of Scranton, PA, and Uncle Jim retired to Florida. Mom and Peg both passed, and it had been a number of years since the "boys" had seen each other.

I worried that Dad wouldn't remember Jim, and, at first, it did seem that way. The name seemed familiar to him, but you could tell the connection wasn't quite being made. At one point, though, we moved their chairs side-by-side for photos and the proximity seemed to do the trick. Dad looked at Jim, leaned over, and said, "Long time, no see, James."

Dad and Uncle Jim
I about broke down crying. Dad sounded just like his old self for a moment there. He used to call my Uncle "James" when he was being playful. And the fact that he knew he hadn't seen him in a long time? Amazing. Just goes to show that you never know how much is truly going on in an Alzheimer's brain.

We had a lovely visit. It was so good to see them. I'm hoping Dad carries the memory of their Christmas visit tucked away in his heart for many days to come.

Some memories:

Mom, the bridesmaid, Peg, the bride.

The sisters, with some of the cousins. (Psst,
that's me in the front in the red.)

2 comments:

  1. I just found your blog tonight. My mother has Lewy Body Dementia. It means a lot to find other people sharing their experience. Thank you.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you, Nancy. My love to you and your Mom.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for sharing this journey with us.