Saturday, February 8, 2014

What it must feel like to be a parent

To me, Dad is looking a bit gaunt and pale, but nobody else seems to see it. Perhaps I'm just being overprotective, given what he went through recently at the ER. It worries me, though.

During this visit, he couldn't get warm enough, so we piled on the jacket and a blanket. This being cold *is* very normal for Dad. He's always cold. But I worry that perhaps he's also getting sick.

Do I seem to be worrying a lot? I think I am. Events like what happened on 1/21, when Dad was sent to the ER and family wasn't notified, remind me once again of how fragile our seniors are, and how dependent they (and their families) are on others to take care of them.

This must be what it feels like to be a parent.

With the lack of federal oversight on personal care homes, it doesn't seem to me that the states are doing a good job of taking care of our elderly, especially those with advanced forms of dementia. I hope that this starts to change soon, before the millions of baby boomers who will suffer from dementia start requiring care.




2 comments:

  1. Cia, with you in positive thoughts. Please try to be good to yourself too, as good as you and your sister are to your dad. Love the last picture! Best regards, Ginnie

    ReplyDelete
  2. I know what you mean. I worry so much about my mom's recent falls, her recent weight loss and other things. It's hard to balance trusting the assisted living home and not appearing paranoid and overbearing with being a good caretaker. When I see what can happen I feel for the ones who don't seem to have anyone to keep track of them. I agree that the state should pay more attention. Try to let go and not worry too much and I will too.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for sharing this journey with us.