Monday, March 10, 2014

Holding Hands

Dad's still looking pale and a bit gaunt to me, but he is eating well. Staff at the home say he's been getting more and more agitated lately, so it may be time to check his meds again. I hate it every time this happens, as I don't want to see him over-medicated. By the same token, I don't want him to unintentionally hurt himself or a staff member in a fit of anger. It's walking a very, very fine line.

I took him some lemon poppy seed loaf that I had made and he declared it "mighty fine." That and a glass of chocolate milk made him happy.

*Anything* with chocolate milk will make him happy. ;)

The other residents were "bowling" for their afternoon activity, but Dad declined an invitation to join in. He was content to just sit with me and occasionally hold my hand. I always take the opportunity to pass along some healing and loving Reiki energy to him when he does.

If you know an elderly person in a home, please, go and visit them. You don't have to say anything. Just hold their hand for a little while.

It will be enough, I promise.



2 comments:

  1. You are dong a fantastic job looking out for your dad. I took care of my daddy the last 8 years of his life. He passed at the age of 93. There are so many lesson to learn...the most important is I needed to be with him to look after him. No one cared and I was afraid he wouldn't be treated with respect and love. Very few of the elderly have someone who really cares about them. May God bless you. Patty McDonald

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much for your kind words, Patty. They went straight to my heart. xo
      Cia

      Delete

Thank you for sharing this journey with us.